Friday, January 27, 2006

Oscars Blunders: Best Picture

With the Academy Awards coming soon I thought I'd do a post I have been wanting to do for a while. Those of you who know me really well know how I feel about some of the selections of the Academy Awards. I'm sure a few can probably name my biggest complaint, which I will get to later, but time after time the best nominated movie is not selected. Why? I don't know, my guess is popularity and ticket sales plays a major role, more of one then it should. Again for those of you who feel I'm being cynical take a look at this weeks Billboards top 10 to see if you get my point that the most popular does not always equal the best.

So what follows is a list of what I believe are the worst selections for Best Picture in the history of the Academy Awards. A few explanation points: 1) I am only comparing movies that were nominated. I'm sure there were many movies that were not even nominated which could have been the best movies of the year, but it would take way to much time and effort to look that up. Maybe some day. 2) You will see many more selections from recent years Why? Because I have seen many more movies made recently then I have those from the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. 3) I have not seen all the nominated movies, in fact, in most cases, especially the older ones I may have seen none of the nominees except 1, but having seen that one I may find it so good that I will say it should have won. In several cases I have seen both the winner and only one other one and since I know that the winner was not better then the other one I have seen. I then make the assumption that the other one I've seen should have won. 4) I am choosing only those that are obvious screw ups, if a couple movies were close, or if none of the nominated movies from a certain year were all that great I will not even mention it. 5) I am right in every single one of these cases- so here goes.

1941: I've never seen either the movie that won best picture or the one which I believe should have, but this is the earliest Oscar blunder I found. I don't know anything about the movie that won, "How Green Was My Valley." And I'm embarrased to say that I've never seen the movie which should have won, but how can a movie considered to be one of the all-time greats, if not the best ever, not win. "How Green Was My Valley" won over "Citizen Kane."

1964: My Fair Lady won best picture. Never seen it but I know exactly what kind of movie it is, a fun, festive, Hollywood big-studio musical, and I know that there is absolutely no way in hell it is better than Stanley Kubrick's classic Cold-War satire, "Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."

1976: Rocky won best picture. Rocky is a good movie, an unlikely underdog-does-the- unthinkable, feel good movie full of unlikely-underdog-does-the-unthinkable-feel-good-movie cliche's before they were cliches. I'm not criticising it. Its a good movie. Good. But Martin Scorcesse's "Taxi Driver" is a great movie.

1979: Kramer vs. Kramer won best picture. I have seen this movie, believe it or not. A long time ago. If I remember its about a divorce and what it does to a family. Ok may be good. Usually Oscar seems to be biased to big epics over smaller character driven films, but not in 1979; a year when it absolutely should have, because Kramer vs. Kramer is not even close to being as good as "Apacolypse Now," Francis Ford Coppala's classic Vietnam War movie.

1989: "Driving Miss Daisey" better than "Born on the Fourth of July?" Tom Cruises' and maybe Oliver Stones best work. I haven't seen "Driving Miss Daisey" but I highly doubt it could be better than "Born on the 4th." The only reason I can think of is because Stones' "Platoon" won best film three years earlier. But that shouldn't matter, the best movie is the best movie.

1990: "Dances With Wolves" is the heartbreaking story of the Plaines Sioux Indians, a movie which finally turned the tables and made the Indians out to be the victems they were and not the brutal savages as they had been represented in movies the 50 years before. A deserving movie, but lets be honest. Sometimes deserving movies happen to be nominated the same year as one which ought get the award because it is one of the all time greats. 1975 comes to mind, a great nominee class, maybe the best, when "Barry Lyndon," "Jaws," and "A Dog Day Afternoon" were all deserving and much better then many previous winners, but were, unfortunately for them, up against "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," and therefore I believe rightfully lost out when they would have been easy winners in other years. In 1990 "Dances With Wolves" should have suffered the same bad luck because also nominated in the same year was Scorceses' classic mob movie, "Goodfellas." The better movie lost. Why? My guess is the people in Hollywood and the Academy only picked "Dances..." instead, because they could all give themselves a big pat on the back for picking the sentimental and politically correct choice. So now thats twice that Scorcese got jipped.

1994: "Forrest Gump" won mostly, I believe, because of the hype surrounding it. I'm not going to keep repeating myself saying its a solid movie, as many of the other choices I disagree with are, its just that it was not deserving to win. Quinten Tarrantino's classic hip, stylisitic "Pulp Fiction" was easily a much better choice. Even "The Shawshank Redemption," also nominated, was better then "Forrest Gump." But sometimes its hard to look past the hype and ticket sales, I guess.

1996 : "Fargo," Joel and Ethan Coehn's Minnessota-murder-mystery masterpiece, one of my favorites, ( and of course then one of the best ) lost to the snooze-fest "The English Patient." This is one of those situations when the big epic love story was chosen over a smaller, plot and character driven, and vastly superior movies. I don't get it.

1997: This one has just been irking me ever since it happened. The sad thing is you knew it was going to happen. Why? The winner was a big romantic epic love story (see above) which also was at the time the biggest movie ever as far as ticket sales ( and I believe still is), due in large part to the teenie-bop girls who went to see it 5, 10, 15, 20 times, because its so romantic, and so sad, and oh-my-god isn't Leo sooooo cute! If you haven't guessed yet the movie that won was "Titanic" which I'll give it credit was really good for 1/2, the half after it hit the ice burg. However, the great modern film-noir Curtis Hansen masterpiece "L.A. Confidential" was overlooked, as I knew it would be. I'll save the review for a different day, but there is not one minute of "Titanic" that is better than any second of "L.A. Confidential." This stands in my opinion as the biggest blunder of a choice. But there are more... I'll keep the rest short.

1998: "Shakespeare in Love" over "Saving Private Ryan"

2001: " A Beautiful Mind" over "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."

2002: I'd have been happier if any of the following 3 movies would have won over the musical dreck, "Chicago:" "LTR: the Two Towers," "Gangs of New York," and the movie which should have won, Roman Polanski's "The Pianist." But if not "The Pianist," how did "Chicago" get picked. Another one I just don't get.

Thats my list. There a number of movies which should have won best movie that weren't even nominated, "2001: A Space Odyssey," and "Boogie Nights" are just a couple of examples but I wouldn't even know where to start with that list. Maybe my next one will be Oscar Brilliance, Best Picture selections that were absolutely correct. Ok talk to you next time.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:54 PM

    Jack and Rose's love story is the truest and most touching love story ever told.

    Nothing in L.A. Confidential could ever remotly compares the raw emotions felt while watching Titanic. After 112 viewings it still makes me cry and always will.

    So "near...far...wherever you are...my heart will"...always be for Titanic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:50 PM

    Good job Nick, but I think you missed one.

    Despite it being the only nominated film that I have seen, there is no way Gladiator should have won in 2000. I may be part of a small group, but I thought that it was a terrible movie.

    If Traffic or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was in fact worse than Gladiator then 2000 must have been the worst year for cinema

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gladiator was ok. But that was a down year. Traffic was good but nothing special and I never got into the CTHD hype. Never saw it. But it was one of those years where nothing was really deserving so I just left it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they made the right choice with Dances with Wolves. I really like Goodfellas but when I think Academy Award, I think Kevin Costner every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:03 PM

    You wrote of how Scorsese has been twice jipped, but there is one other (at least!)

    Raging Bull has been widely considered the best film of the entire 1980s, yet according to the Academy Awards it wasn't even the best film of 1980. How does that work?

    I haven't seen Ordinary People yet, the winner, but I have a hard time believing that it can be better than Raging Bull. And this is coming from someone who after first viewing felt that Raging Bull was overrated. But looking back at it now, I can see why Raging Bull is considered the masterpiece that it is. IT SHOULD HAVE WON.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah. I thought about Raging Bull, and I respect it. But I wasn't going to include movies that are considered classics by the critics just because they are. I'd have to look at the other selections as well. I just didn't want to include something that I personally didn't love, even if many other people did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On second thought, I did do that with Citizen Kane. So I will agree with you Zack. Forget my last comment. Another time Scorcese was jipped was when "Chicago" won over "Gangs of New York." But that year, as I said a couple other movies were better even then GNY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someone please fill me in on why you liked Raging Bull so much? I saw it several years ago and thought it about as memorable as your average Mach 3 commercial. I know it contains several quotes that have become part of pop culture but other then that I thought it was snoozeville.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:53 PM

    I like Raging Bull, but admit that it is over-rated; an over-rated movie can still be good. The movie itself looks great (very Scorsese), DeNiro gives an awesome intense performance, and the fight scenes are so brutal that it's hard to imagine how there ever could have been a camera in the middle filming the whole time.

    Another thing about this getting jipped in the year 1980 is that the year didn't look all that great compared to others. I went to a list of films made in 1980 and only three jumped out at me (keep in mind that I haven't seen Ordinary People, Coal Miner's Daughter, or The Elephant Man which were all nominated).

    Now those three that jumped out were Empire Strikes Back (my favorite of that year) Raging Bull, and The Shining. Now of those three I feel Raging Bull is the one that should've won in those three. I thought the Shining was good but nothing special (sorry Nick). I like Empire more but Raging Bull is the better "film" and should've won.

    I hope that better explains where I'm coming from on this topic, Brian.

    I should go back through all your reviews and pad the comments on each one:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zack thanks for the insight on RB. I think part of the reason I didn't think it was special is because of my inability to relate to older movies. I have a hard time putting myself in the shoes of even a 1980s audiance. I guess I'm too desensitized to sex and violence to be shocked at older films.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still, hate to be the nerd, but Empire Strikes Back should have been nominated and should have won. "Film" smilm... if a movie is better, even if its not a better "film," it should still be the winner. And thats from me a guy who can and does appreciate film as an art form, but I also can appreciate a kick-ass movie too. But my list didn't include non-nominated movies so ESB doesn't count... I heard Elephant Man is real good, but haven't seen it... and "The Shining" is great, maybe when you grow up and your opinions mature you'll appreciate it more Zack. JK. You know I respect your opinion, G. Peace.

    "Luke, Obe-won never told you the truth about your father."

    "He told me enough"

    "I am your father"

    "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

    -ok thats probably way off, did it from memory, just trying to be a geek.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:07 PM

    Nick, you were close but.....

    vader: "If your onlly knew the power of the Dark Side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."

    luke: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."

    v: "No. I am your father."

    l: "No. No. That's not true. That's impossible."

    v: "Search your feelings. You know it to be true."

    l: "Noooooo! Nooooooo!

    Before you think I'm this huge Star Wars nerd, I have to tell you that I cheated; looked it up on IMDB.com. But I guess actually taking the time to look up the actual quote than just knowing it makes me an even bigger nerd, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:28 PM

    Yes, it does.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:24 PM

    Thanks NATE

    ReplyDelete