Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Watchmen (2009)


It's been over a year and half since my last post (a lot less time for Armageddon Blows in college than there was in high school), but it's spring break, Watchmen is in theaters, and I had to come back.

Now hitting theaters is the film adaptation of what has been hailed as the "most celebrated graphic novel of all-time" and one of TIME Magazine's "100 Greatest English Novels of the 20th Century," Alan Moore's Watchmen. However, a year ago I had never heard of it (times have a-changed since then). Initially, I remember being very confused by its weird trailer before The Dark Knight last July. Then I became more and more intrigued by Watchmen when I saw a friend of mine reading it as the film's release date neared. I finally bit the bullet, shelled out the $20, and bought the graphic novel last month - a bargain. Then I read it ferociously, planning my homework schedule around Watchmen (I'd reward myself: 1 Logic assignment finished meant I could read 1 chapter, etc), and went on to completely geek about it with my brother (and fellow AB contributor), Nick, since he's read it as well in the past month. As a recently converted Watchmen fanboy scouring YouTube to find every Watchmen video possible, my anticipation for the movie in recent weeks has been immense.

The world of Watchmen takes place in an alternate history of the United States in 1985 with the Cold War at its most critical point; the "Doomsday Clock" is at five minutes to midnight. Costumed adventurers once fought crime in the streets, without special powers (with the exception of Dr. Manhattan who was involved in a freak scientific accident that turned him into a virtual God, and the United States' greatest deterrent against the Soviets). However, at the time of the film, costumed adventuring has been outlawed and only one remains: Rorschach, a sociopath who remains committed to fighting the crime, immorality and corruption in the world (even if he's the only one still willing to do it). That is until Rorschach discovers the death of a fellow adventurer, The Comedian, causing all the Watchmen to rediscover their past. What follows is a complex conspiracy involving attempted assassinations, false accusations, framed murders, and much more as World War III and the nuclear holocaust approaches.

As a film, Watchmen is not an average superhero movie. The villains try to do good, the heroes can be awful, and who is right can be argued from both sides. It's an incredibly elaborate story that honors its source material like few other film adaptations. Director Zack Snyder (of 300 fame) obviously loves Moore's novel and cares about not offending the novel's dedicated fan base. Sure there are some necessary changes made to make the film fit into its almost three hour running time and one major change that was required to not alienate and bewilder a wider audience (fans of the novel know exactly what I'm talking about), but, in my opinion, that change works perfectly. The film follows the novel so closely that I can see how it may seem dense or confusing to an unfamiliar audience member, so be prepared.

I found this movie to be incredibly entertaining. It was amazing to see so many memorable moments from the novel come to life on screen. I can only imagine what it must have been like for Watchmen's most devoted fans to see it after waiting 20 years for a Watchmen movie. Watchmen is a fascinating story filled with complex characters who take the term "superhero" to a place we've rarely seen them before, exciting action with many moments of brutal violence, awesome special effects, and messages leaving you wondering what it really means to sacrifice and do the right thing.

I highly recommend seeing Watchmen (provided you don't get squeamish from nudity or violence). It will definitely twist whatever expectations you have for a "superhero" movie into something completely different. There isn't quite anything like Watchmen.

However, I cannot stress enough that reading the graphic novel can only make your viewing more enjoyable. Not only will it be easier to follow the complex plot, but you will have so much more background knowledge and appreciation for the Watchmen world. I've taken AP English in high school, English Lit. courses in college and read many "classics," and I can say without hesitation or hyperbole that Watchmen ranks up there as one of the best pieces of literature I have ever read. I read it once before the movie and again after in a span of three days before I saw the movie again. And I look forward to future readings and finding out even more subtleties in the amazing story of Watchmen.

4/5 (I knocked off a little bit because I can understand how non-fanboys may not be as enthralled by the film)

as for the graphic novel, 5/5 (I don't think Armageddon Blows allows me to go any higher, otherwise I most definitely would)

1 comment:

  1. Just came across this review. I got the graphic novel for my birthday in August and like it. Still haven't seen the actual movie but plan to.

    ReplyDelete