Sunday, November 06, 2005

Closer (2004)


Adapted from a hit Broadway play, "Closer" follows the love lives of four people (Julie Roberts, Clive Owen, Jude Law, and Natalie Portman). Honestly, it must have taken me two weeks to finish this movie. I watched at least half in one sitting but had little interest to pick it back up again. I knew getting into it that it was kind of an arty flick but I was surprised at how unsatisfied I was at the end. I really didn't like anyone's performance despite really liking most of the actors. Don't get me wrong, watching Natalie Portman dance around in a g-string is never a waste of time but I just didn't find anyone to be believable--maybe they are too big for this kind of film. If you haven't seen this I would recommend you keep side stepping down the shelves.

"Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" - Alice

2 stars out of 5

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:49 PM

    I totally agree with you. Kim and I couldn't get into this one either and we were both pretty disappointed in it. Not a very good effort despite the star power.

    Brady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brady,

    I also felt the same about "Monster's Ball". Technically it was a good movie but I really could have gone without seeing it, especially at the theater. Again the leading lady and explicit images saved the film for me even though I did have to see Billy Bob's ass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated this movie. It got good reviews, had good actors, but totally blowed. They were all just totally dispicable characters, who you couldn't like no matter how you tried. And they were the type of people its not worth your time associating with, let alone making a movie about I'd give it 1 out of 5 stars if I reviewed it. So I agree 100% with the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick, fee free to review this movie if you want. Well, maybe not this movie because we're in total agreement but some time it would be cool to get different takes on the same film. I'm still shocked at how let down I was by Closer, oh well. I should have a new review or two up by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete